As a vibrant living parable…we are living in the Kingdom of God. In HIS Kingdom on earth are various educational facilities. Everyone in God’s Kingdom is tested at one time or another. As Reinhard Bonnke penned, "A faith that cannot be tested is a faith that cannot be trusted." The most common question is: Does God find you trustworthy?
Over the seasons of my life I have learned to humbly say “Yes” when GOD brings something to me requiring immediate relentless faith. It is the only viable response. In previous seasons, I might ask How? Why? When? Who? What? Where? Seriously? Did I misunderstand? Do you have me mixed up with someone else? Yet, I have learned the answers will arrive with complete clarity and precision according to HIS will, timing, providence, will, purpose and plan as soon as the “Yes” arises from my lips.
I believe I first heard from Rick Joyner, as soon as you pass a test, a new one arrives. Each test prepares you for the next. Every test failed will be offered repeatedly until it is passed. The reason I mention Rick Joyner is because I truly believe all infinite wisdom is from the Holy Spirit of the Most High God and I am fortunate to have Rick Joyner’s writings in my life. I trust it was the Holy Spirit that imparted the divine wisdom to him. I remain grateful he walked in obedience sharing freely all the Holy Spirit of Wisdom imparted to him. It has made an eternal difference for me and undoubtedly countless others.
In the year 2000, the LORD drop-kicked me into the blue fire. Drop kick is a sports action that means: a kickmadebydroppingaballtothegroundandkickingitjustasitstartsto rebound. At the time it was all very chaotic, confusing and painful. I could not understand what GOD was doing or why He was doing it. A friend sent an email notating the colors of a flame of fire: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet. As I continued to study and research the meaning of colors in relationship to the Bible, it became clearer the color of the fire was indicative of the test being taken. Test taking became much easier as I further developed my understanding of the meanings of colors, the purpose of the test, the expected outcome, and the parameters of the learning curve. As example blue fire produces no smoke and is very hot. In other words, it feels like you are truly dying, and no one is noticing, yet you learn you are not dying, it does not matter if anyone notices or not, it only matters you walk in obedience to GOD.
From my 2001 Journal: The method of God giving a test: First HE introduces us to the test. Then HE teaches us about the mechanics of HIS tests. Then HE tests us. Then HE tests us again. HE tests us until we walk through the test without realizing it is a test because our nature has changed through the transforming atonement, resurrection, ascension, and limitless powers of YESHUA, Our Messiah and we have become more like HIM. That is when we have passed the test, when we stop noticing we are being tested. We just respond as YESHUA did and move forward effortlessly without a hitch or a glitch or even a slight stutter.
Until the time that his word came to pass, the word of the LORD tested him (Psalm 105:19).
Humorously…comparatively speaking just as in academia there are groups we desire to be a part of or not….such as the over achievers, nerds, athletes, under achievers, rejects, misfits, in-crowd, geeks, copy cats, super stars and more. Similarly, groups exist in various denominations and churches such as the religious, always right, better than, recovery, servants, takers, givers, betrayers, stage takers, truly humble, false humility, gossips, slanderers, deceivers, righteous, genuine, authentic, passionate, counterfeit, truth seekers, addicts, extroverts, introverts…and more. The lists are meant to portray the diversity of humanity in our functioning as human beings on earth. More often than not…the test subject is about discernment and holy response to another’s behavior. YESHUA always spoke truth, loved unconditionally, quickly forgave and immediately walked in obedience to the Voice of HIS FATHER GOD. There are four common denominators in every test of GOD: 1. Speak Truth 2. Love Unconditionally 3. Forgive Quickly 4. Walk in Obedience to GOD. As we mature in our spiritual relationship, GOD may invite us to be the test paper for someone else taking a test. Usually, it is a test we have passed so we know how to mentor, pray and encourage the person taking the test. We cannot pass or fail a test for someone else. Being the test paper is acknowledging fully it is God’s Kingdom, HE is the superintendent, YESHUA is the entrance administrator and the Holy Spirit is the teacher. It is important not to get our role as "test paper" mixed up with theirs. It is not recommended to volunteer for this position unless GOD clearly asks, otherwise there may not be sufficient grace to survive.
As a forerunner in HIS Kingdom, because of the call on my life, I have been invited to be the "test paper" countless times. Painfully I have learned it is essential not to take “being the test paper” assignment personally. Because we all know if someone passes a test…they take you out to a lavish dinner, buy you beautiful flowers, and decadent chocolates and immediately you become their best friend. However, if they fail the test, it immediately becomes your fault, you become their least favorite person, hopefully they don’t betray you, but in all probability they will…sooner or later. One of the most common ways a testimony is developed is because someone took a test and either failed, passed, or excelled.
There are occasions when we may take more than one test at a time, similar to finals week in academia. High School finals week seemed liked pure torture until finals week in college, at which time high school then seemed relatively simple. It is about perspective. We do not prepare for the first grade the same way we prepare for the 12th grade. We do not study for a Bachelors’ Degree the same way we study for a Masters’ Degree. Additionally, sometimes we do take the same test as another, as we are divinely positioned to encourage each other. And we may find ourselves in the same class, same study group, same academic location, and/or perhaps will have the same test giver. Tests vary as sometimes it is a daily quiz like the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:21-24) or perhaps a weekly test, mid-term, research paper or final exam. Tests are rarely convenient, timely or perceived as needed or valuable. Most often the teacher is silent during the test unless it is an open book or open question test which I have found to be exceedingly rare upon the earth.
Sometimes we are called to mentor and/or teach others and with this anointing, gifting and calling, in which I also strongly encourage a deep reliance upon the Holy Spirit. The word "teach" is found in 91 verses in the Bible. A few samples: Matthew 4:23, 5:2, 5:19, 7:29, 9:5, 11:1, 13:54, 15:9, 21:23, 22:16, 26:55, 28:15, 28:20.
The most common types of tests are about character traits which are demonstrated by our thoughts, actions, deeds, work, and responses through our relationship with ELOHIM such as integrity, truth, kindness, purity, patience, morality, boundaries, generosity, gentleness, honesty, trustworthiness, forgiveness, true humility, perseverance, diligence, relentless faithfulness, sacred loyalty, intentional choices, immediate obedience and holiness to list a few. God has always been looking for people HE can trust eternally which is revolutionary different than being a person the world counts on temporarily. The world has one set of values which are juxtaposed to God’s values. One Biblical example of being tested is by the Father of our Faith, Abraham.
And Abraham called the name of the place, The-LORD-Will-Provide; (Hebrew: YHWH Yireh) as it is said to this day, “In the Mount of the LORD it shall be provided” (Genesis 22:14, NKJV).
The parable is as one walks forward in faith up the mountain of God, in the place HE is testing you, the ram, the provision will be provided as you pass the test...as it was with Abraham. Each of us receives testing from the LORD GOD, and each test uniquely designed for our calling, anointing, purpose, position and destiny in YESHUA, Our Messiah. We individually choose whether or not to take the test, or to pass the test remembering with GOD all things are possible, not necessarily easy, comfortable, or within our range of immediate understanding. We are also tested by others, circumstances and possibly satan. However, because GOD is sovereign, HE is positioned to shorten, lengthen, increase, decrease, change, stop, delay, rearrange, configure and/or send again any test for any season or reason. When one’s life is placed in GOD’s hands completely then trusting HIM with the outcome of our lives is paramount.
In general, a teacher would not be required to take a prophet’s test any more than a pediatrician would take a zoologist’s test. Each test is personally ordered and designed by the Holy Spirit as relates to the personality, family of origin, social-economic status, genetics, gifts, talents, education, calling, and anointing of every individual. However, often there is opportunity to learn something from another’s mistakes. As example, if one is truly called and anointed to be a prophet of the Most High God then they might expect the following tests: Jonah, Micah, Elijah, Elisha, Daniel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, YESHUA ... The questions one might ask: What was GOD teaching them? What was their mission statement? What was their assignment? Did they fulfill it? What was the cost? How many times did they fail? What was their downfall, weakness? How many times did they give false or counterfeit prophetic words and still live? Were they genuine or authentic? Did they follow GOD or their family and friends? What did they have to overcome? Was the test related to the spiritual, physical, emotional, mental, relational, academic, mechanical, scientific, intrinsic, familial, internal, external, endurance, fortitude, medical, artistic...?
It is essential to remember that there is One Holy Sacrifice, One Holy Savior and One Holy Son as well as there is only One Cross, One Crucifix and One Resurrected YESHUA.
Although throughout the seasons of my life, I have read the Bible many times and the following scriptures being among those readings, this is the first time I have listed all the scriptures relating to Test, Tests, Tested, and Testing in one place at one time. It is life changing to read the Word of GOD and invite HIM to send it like golden arrows exploding with light, revelation, truth, glory and divinity into our faith, personality, mind, will, emotions, physical being and spirit. Invite the Holy Spirit to be your teacher and translator as you continue your educational continuum with the understanding all tests have a purpose, perhaps not the one you are expecting or hoping or dreaming about. Remember GOD is sovereign and HE does not make any mistakes in writing the test, to whom He gives it, when HE gives it, how HE gives it or why HE gives. No one loves you more than ABBA ADONAI, FATHER GOD.
1. Then the LORD said to Moses, “Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a day's portion every day, that I may TEST them, whether or not they will walk in My instruction (Exodus 16:4).
2. Therefore, the people quarreled with Moses and said, “Give us water that we may drink.” And Moses said to them, “Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you TEST the LORD?” (Exodus 17:2).
3. Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to TEST you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin” (Exodus 20:20).
4. “Surely all the men who have seen My glory and My signs which I performed in Egypt and in the wilderness, yet have put Me to the TEST these ten times and have not listened to My voice, shall by no means see the land which I swore to their father, nor shall any of those who spurned ME see it. But MY servant Caleb, because he has had a different spirit and has followed ME fully, I will bring into the land which he entered, and his descendants shall take possession of it (Numbers 14:22-24).
5. “You shall not put the LORD your God to the TEST, as you tested HIM at Massah (Deuteronomy 6:16).
6. “In the wilderness He fed you manna which your fathers did not know, that He might humble you and that He might TEST you, to do good for you in the end (Deuteronomy 8:16).
7. So the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and HE said, “Because this nation has transgressed MY covenant which I commanded their fathers and not listened to MY voice, also will no longer drive out before them any of the nations which Joshua left when he died, in order to TEST Israel by them, whether they will keep the way of the LORD to walk in it as their fathers did, or not” (Judges 2:20-22).
8. Now these are the nations which the LORD left, to TEST Israel by them that is, all who had not experienced any of the wars of Canaan; only in order that the sons of Israel might be taught war, those who had not experienced it formerly (Judges 3:1-2).
9. Then Gideon said to God, “Do not let Your anger burn against me that I may speak once more; please let me make a TEST once more with the fleece, let it now be dry only on the fleece, and let there be dew on all the ground” (Judges 6:39).
10. Then the LORD said to Gideon, “The people are still too many; bring them down to the water and I will TEST them for you there. Therefore, it shall be that he of whom I say to you, ‘This one shall go with you,' he shall go with you; but every one of whom I say to you, ‘This one shall not go with you,' he shall not go” (Judges 7:4).
11. Now when the queen of Sheba heard about the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the LORD, she came to TEST him with difficult questions (1 Kings 10:1).
12. Now when the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon, she came to Jerusalem to TEST Solomon with difficult questions. She had a very large retinue, with camels carrying spices and a large amount of gold and precious stones; and when she came to Solomon, she spoke with him about all that was on her heart (2 Chronicles 9:1).
13. Even in the matter of the envoys of the rulers of Babylon, who sent to him to inquire of the wonder that had happened in the land, God left him alone to TEST him, that He might know all that was in his heart (2 Chronicles 32:31).
14. “Does not the ear TEST words, as the palate tastes its food? (Job 12:11).
15. The LORD is in His holy temple; the LORD’s throne is in heaven; His eyes behold, His eyelids TEST the sons of men (Psalm 11:4).
16. Examine me, O LORD, and try me; TEST my mind and my heart (Psalm 26:2).
17. And in their heart, they put God to the TEST by asking food according to their desire (Psalm 78:18).
18. But Ahaz said, “I will not ask, nor will I TEST the LORD!” (Isaiah 7:12).
19. “I, the LORD, search the heart, I TEST the mind, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the results of his deeds (Jeremiah 17:10).
20. Yet, O LORD of hosts, YOU who TEST the righteous, who see the mind and the heart; Let me see Your vengeance on them; For to You I have set forth my cause (Jeremiah 20:12).
21. “Please TEST your servants for ten days and let us be given some vegetables to eat and water to drink (Daniel 1:12).
22. “And I will bring the third part through the fire, refine them as silver is refined, And TEST them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are My people,' And they will say, ‘The LORD is my God'” (Zechariah 13:9).
23. “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and TEST Me now in this,” says the LORD of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows (Malachi 3:10).
24. ‘So now we call the arrogant blessed; not only are the doers of wickedness built up but they also TEST God and escape'” (Malachi 3:15).
25. Jesus said to him, “On the other hand, it is written, ‘YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOUR GOD TO THE TEST!” (Matthew 4:7).
26. The Pharisees came out and began to argue with Him, seeking from Him a sign from heaven, to TEST Him (Mark 8:11).
27. And Jesus answered and said to him, “It is said, ‘YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOUR GOD TO THE TEST!” (Luke 4:12).
28. And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the TEST, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” (Luke 10:25).
29, Others, to TEST HIM, were demanding of Him a sign from heaven (Luke 11:16).
30. This He was saying to TEST him, for He Himself knew what He was intending to do (John 6:6).
31. Then Peter said to her, “Why is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the TEST? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out as well” (Acts 5:9).
32. “Now therefore why do you put God to the TEST by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? (Acts 15:10).
33. For no one can lay a foundation other than one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will TEST the quality of each man's work (1 Corinthians 3:11-13).
34. For to this end also I wrote, so that I might put you to the TEST, whether you are obedient in all things (2 Corinthians 2:9).
35. TEST yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the TEST? (2 Corinthians 13:5).
36. But I trust that you will realize that we ourselves do not fail the TEST (2 Corinthians 13:6).
37. Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but TEST the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world (1 John 4:1).
38. “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: The One who holds the seven stars in HIS right hand, the ONE who walks among the seven golden lampstands, say this: ‘I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the TEST those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false; and you have perseverance and have endured for MY name’s sake, and have not grown weary'" (Revelation 2:1-3).
39. ‘Because you have kept the word of MY perseverance, I will also keep you from the hour of TESTING, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to TEST whose who dwell on the earth' (Revelation 3:10).
40. The LORD TESTS the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates (Psalm 11:5).
41. The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold, but the LORD TESTS hearts (Proverbs 17:3).
42. Now it came about after these things, that God TESTED Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am” (Genesis 22:1).
43. Joseph said to them, “It is as I said to you, you are spies; by this you will be TESTED: by the life of Pharaoh, you shall not go from this place unless your youngest brother comes here! “Send one of you that he may get your brother, while you remain confined, that your words may be TESTED, whether there is truth in you. But if not, by the life of Pharaoh, surely you are spies” (Genesis 42:14-16).
44. Then he cried out to the LORD, and the LORD showed him a tree; and he threw it into the waters, and the waters became sweet. There He made for them a statute and regulation, and there HE TESTED them (Exodus 15:25).
45. He named the place Massah and Meribah because of the quarrel of the sons of Israel, and because they TESTED the LORD, saying, “Is the LORD among us, or not?” (Exodus 17:7).
46. “You shall not put the LORD your God to the test, as you TESTED HIM at Massah" (Deuteronomy 6:16).
47. David girded his sword over his armor and tried to walk, for he had not TESTED them. So, David said to Saul, “I cannot go with these, for I have not TESTED them.” And David took them off (1 Samuel 17:39).
48. “As for God, His way is blameless; The word of the LORD is TESTED; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him" (2 Samuel 22:31).
49. You have tried my heart; You have visited me by night; You have TESTED me and You find nothing; I have purposed that my mouth will not transgress (Psalm 17:3).
50. “When your fathers TESTED ME, they tried Me, though they had seen My work" (Psalm 95:9).
51. Until the time that his word came to pass, the word of the LORD TESTED him (Psalm 105:19).
52. The crucible is for silver and the furnace for gold, and each is TESTED by the praise accorded him (Proverbs 27:21).
53. Every word of God is TESTED; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him (Proverbs 30:5).
54. I said to myself concerning the sons of men, “God has surely TESTED them in order for them to see that they are but beasts” (Ecclesiastes 3:18).
55. I TESTED all this with wisdom, and I said, “I will be wise,” but it was far from me (Ecclesiastes 7:23).
56. Therefore, thus says the Lord GOD, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a TESTED stone, A costly cornerstone for the foundation, firmly placed. He who believes in it will not be disturbed" (Isaiah 28:16).
57. “Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have TESTED you in the furnace of affliction" (Isaiah 48:10).
58. So he listened to them in this matter and TESTED them for ten days (Daniel 1:14).
59. “And I will bring the third part through the fire, refine them as silver is refined, and test them as gold is TESTED. They will call on My name, And I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are My people,' And they will say, ‘The LORD is my God'” (Zechariah 13:9).
60. We have sent with them our brother, whom we have often TESTED and found diligent in many things, but now even more diligent because of HIS great confidence in you (2 Corinthians 8:22).
61. These persons must also first be TESTED; then let them serve as deacons if they are beyond reproach (1 Timothy 3:10).
62. By faith Abraham, when he was TESTED, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son; it was he to whom it was said, “IN ISAAC YOUR DESCENDANTS SHALL BE CALLED” (Hebrews 11:17-18).
63. In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though TESTED by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; and though you have not seen HIM, you love HIM, and though you do not see HIM now, but believe in HIM, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls (1 Peter 1:6-9).
64. ‘Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be TESTED, and will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life' (Revelation 2:10).
65. You shall remember all the way which the LORD your GOD has led you in the wilderness these forty years, that HE might humble you, TESTING you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep HIS commandments or not (Deuteronomy 8:2).
66. “If a prophet or a dreamer arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder and the sign or wonder comes true, concerning which he spoke to you saying, ‘Let us go after other gods (whom you have not known) and let us serve them,’ you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams; for the LORD your God is TESTING you to find out if you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul" (Deuteronomy 13:1-3).
67. They were for TESTING Israel, to find out if they would obey the commandments of the LORD, which He had commanded their fathers through Moses (Judges 3:4).
68. “For there is a TESTING; and what if even the rod which despises will be no more?” declares the Lord GOD (Ezekiel 21:13).
69. The Pharisees and Sadducees came up, and TESTING Jesus, they asked Him to show them a sign from heaven (Matthew 16:1).
70. Some Pharisees came to Jesus, TESTING HIM and asking, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any reason at all?” (Matthew 19:3).
71. But Jesus perceived their malice, and said, “Why are you TESTING ME, you hypocrites?" (Matthew 22:18).
72. One of them, a lawyer, asked HIM a question, testing HIM, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And HE said to him, “YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND." This is the great and foremost commandment (Matthew 22:35-38).
73. Some Pharisees came up to Jesus, TESTING HIM, and began to question Him whether it was lawful for a man to divorce a wife (Mark 10:2).
74. “Shall we pay or shall we not pay?” But He, knowing their hypocrisy, said to them, “Why are you TESTING Me? Bring Me a denarius to look at” (Mark 12:15).
75. They were saying this, TESTING Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground (John 8:6).
76. WHERE YOUR FATHERS TRIED ME BY TESTING ME AND SAW MY WORKS FOR FORTY YEARS (Hebrews 3:9).
77. Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the TESTING of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing (James 1:2-4).
78. Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your TESTING, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing so that also at the revelation of HIS Glory you may rejoice with exultation (1 Peter 4:12-13).
Hebrew meaning of Test (Piel): to test, try, prove, tempt, assay, put to the proof or test, to attempt adventure (Strong’s Dictionary).
Greek meaning of Test (perirazo): to try whether a thing can be done, to attempt, endeavor, to try, make trial of, test, scrutinize, discipline, examine, go about, assay (Strong’s Dictionary).
If you are among those that made it to the finish of this writing, then perhaps you have discovered even more the depths of Our Father God's greatest love and that HE will go beyond measure to secure our love for HIM! And have been reminded once again that Christianity has never been a religion, it has always been and will always be about a relationship of relentless faith...one test at a time.
In closing, A.W. Tozer wrote, "God never uses anyone greatly until He tests them deeply."
All Scripture References: New American Standard Bible